guix-devel

Re: About flashplayer

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: About flashplayer
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 10:53:34 +0100

tumashu <address@hidden> writes:

> At 2017-01-13 16:31:46, "John Darrington" <address@hidden> wrote: >On Fri,
> Jan 13, 2017 at 03:06:41PM +0800, tumashu wrote: > > If we can package Adobe
> Flash Player, can we package a installer-helper, like:
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree > >But as Chris said,
> unfortunately we cannot. :(
>
> but .....
>
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/flashplugin-nonfree  is just a command
> writen with shell script,  user can use this command to download Adobe Flash
> Player and install it,  it seem to be a free script :-)

The FSDG (as previously quoted by Chris) state:

   "A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining
    any nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do
    so. The system should have no repositories for nonfree software and
    no specific recipes for installation of particular nonfree
    programs."

Providing a tool with the sole purpose of installing proprietory
software would certainly fall under “steer users towards obtaining […]
nonfree” software.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
http://elephly.net