guix-devel

Re: Encrypted root partition

From: dian_cecht
Subject: Re: Encrypted root partition
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:31:39 -0800

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:08:22PM -0500, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> Using an ephemeral key for swap (that is: a temporary key that is
> randomly generated and never stored) is preferred: when you unmount it,
> the data won't be recoverable.

I just wanted to say that this can break suspend-to-disk, and so if someone is
going to make a note of something in the manual, said breakage should also be
mentioned, but if suspend-to-disk isn't needed, this is the ideal option.

I also want to mention that I seem to recall there is a way to get the kernel to
store suspend-to-disk info somewhere other than root, but I don't recall the
method, but I do recall it being a bit annoying to setup.