guix-devel

Re: [Basic Linux Question]: Is it possible to have two init system?

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: [Basic Linux Question]: Is it possible to have two init system?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 19:09:00 +0100

Hi Rohit,

> Is it possible to run two init processes?

No it is not.

> beginners who are frustrated by standard distro

Why are you frustrated with standard distro?

> easily get all the features of guixsd on a standard linux distribution.

You can run guix on a standard linux distro.

> It will be really useful for but do not have time to learn the whole guix
> ecosystem at once before using it reliably.

The init system is not something that end users interact with much.
The only thing you have to know is the herd command to start/stop
services but this is not something you should have to do manually most
of the time.

herd start SERVICENAME and I bet you can guess the other command...