guix-devel

Re: Warning on using GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Warning on using GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:08:35 +0100

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 01:30:48PM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
     @FOSDEM we concluded that GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH does not necessarily work
     that wel. I added to my guix-notes the following:

     +Note that, even though GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH can be a feasible way of
     +adding and maintaining packages, it has two largish downsides: (1) it
     +is removed from the main package tree and therefore not easily shared
     +and integrated and (2) to remain compatible you need to juggle two git
     +trees which may go out of synch.

Those are indeed cavaets.  But whether they are "downsides" or "largish" is
a matter for individual users to decide.

Some people 1) don't want to share the pacakges they create; and/or 2) are
prepared to accept the effort keeping the two things in sync.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3