guix-devel

Re: Add murmur.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Add murmur.
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 21:39:59 +0000

On 17-02-09 23:50:02, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > On 17-02-09 17:50:04, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> Hi ng0!
> >>
> >> address@hidden skribis:

> >> I’m reluctant to “non-standard” outputs like this.  The reason for
> >> multiple outputs should be to reduce the closure size for standards
> >> uses.  What do we gain by not included murmurd in “out” in this case?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ludo’.
> >
> > We remove the server component (murmurd) from the client component
> > (mumble).  I imagine that if you run murmurd, you will not want mumble
> > in the same user profile.  And if you run mumble, you probably don't
> > want murmurd.  The default is a client, adding murmur output is logical.
> > But this is just my view.. I would not want a server unless I explicitly
> > expressed my intention to have it
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think the only reason to separate things usually is size, not
> “aesthetics.”  So I’d be in favor of keeping both in the same output if
> there’s no size problem.

I don't see my description as aesthetics, but maybe I wasn't clear. It
could theoretically be an security issue, keeping both separated gives
the user a choice of what should be present.

Of course this is a theoretic issue, but the separation of server+client
where applicable when the nature of an application allows it makes sense
to me.

If you don't agree, I can send an updated patch which just adds murmur
to the 'out'.

--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/