guix-devel

Re: Git-style aliases in Guix?

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: Re: Git-style aliases in Guix?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 20:01:56 +0100

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 09:30:07AM +0100, Mekeor Melire wrote:
>
>      John Darrington <address@hidden> writes:
>
>      > On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:15:10PM +0100, Mekeor Melire wrote:
>      >
>      >      Concerning how to implement this alias feature within Guix, I'd
> first
>      >      like to pose a much broader question. So, on GuixSD you have a
>      >      configuration, written in Scheme, for your operating system.
> Couldn't we
>      >      make Guix have a scheme-configuration file for itself, as well?
>      >
>      > We do.  guix/config.scm
>
>      How can you configure Guix itself in your config.scm? I'm only aware of
>      the operating-system declaration which is used to configure the OS, not
>      Guix itself.
>
> What kind of configuration had you in mind?

So, `operating-system` let's you declare an operating system. What if
there was a Scheme function called `guix` or so which allowed you to
configure Guix itself?

Then, defining Guix aliases could look as follows; maybe saved in a file
called guix.scm:

      (guix
        (aliases '(
          ("p" . "package")
          ("s" . "package -s")
          ("m" . "package -m"))))

And similar to `operating-system`, there would be many other
configuration fields...