guix-devel

Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: guix is the guildhall that we always wanted!
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 18:16:36 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

While I don't have too much experience with the Guix,
I have been around long enough to see multiple experiments

with package management come and go.  (I remember life
before RPM. haha)

As a general principle, any package manager will fail
if it doesn't have developer excitement.  And to be
developer friendly, it has to allow software in all
of its phases from a chaotic pre-alpha to a reliable
release.

I do rather like the idea of an easy push for new updates
to alpha and beta-level packages.  I also
like the idea of some curating or labeling or rating
of packages that describe themselves as stable or

complete.  Actually, I should be more forceful: without
allowing for both alpha-level chaos and a stable central
corpus of packages, any new package management experiment
will fail.

My two cents,
Thanks,
Mike Gran