guix-devel

Re: Being excellent to one another

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Being excellent to one another
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:10:47 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:21:59PM +0100, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:

     My intention was to call-back to my impression of other parts of this
     conversation where it seemed you were point-blank refusing to
     acknowledge ng0's request.

As I recall, their request was that I always use "singular they" and never to
mention other possible alternatives to anyone.  I acknowledge their request and
recognise their every right to make it.  But I feel no obligation to comply with
their request.  Ng0's reaction to my declining, I interpreted to mean that they
considered it not to be a request, but a demand.  If this interpretation was
wrong, then I apologise to them.

     Say whaat?  Way to blow our discussion out of proportion.  Are you
     seriously suggesting the consensus established through conversation and
     convention in a small community is in any way comparable to the pile of
     dung that is the contemporary ridiculously complex and terrifyingly
     non-egalitarian state of global authoritarian politics?

I believe the current state of global politics has come about through populism.
In part, that means some people have been coerced into supporting what
they would not otherwise have supported - because of peer pressure.  I do
support what I believe to be wrong - ethically, technically or gramatically -
simply because a majority of other people say I should.

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3