guix-devel

Re: Help needed from Java developer to finish maven

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Help needed from Java developer to finish maven
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 22:34:49 +0200

Hi Hilco,

for what I want to achieve, you need to understand Guix's philosophy:
One of the major points is to have as few components as possible
pre-build be external entities. Because only then Guix can ensure that
the component is build from exactly the known source and not manipulated.

And this means, that neither adding JARs from Maven Central to the store
nor putting the maven tar-ball into the store are admissible options for
Guix. I know other distributions do, like NixOS, but Guix will not.

Sadly maven does not support building from source. Even the maven
"source" includes a jar-file (maven-ant-task), which's job is to
download JAR files from maven central. So I have a take a lot of effort
building all (minimum) requirements, manually recreating e.g. meta-data
files which maven creates, and that like. Most of these packages rely on
maven for buiilding - which is not yet available.

My actual gaol is to have some Java applications I need in Guix – but
the Guix way :-) And this requires to be able to build JARs which are
build using maven, and for this I need to be able to bootstrap maven
from source.

Am 23.04.2017 um 20:43 schrieb Hilco Wijbenga: I had a look at
> maven-with-guix-versions.patch and I notice that you are changing
> various version numbers and replacing some JARs with other JARs. Why
> would you do that? Why do you expect the end result to work well? Or
> at all? How would anyone be able to trust this patched Maven?
I assume you are referring so the patch I posted month ago, which is is
outdated now. For the current status, please have a look at the branch
"WIP-maven" at https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix.git. My question refer
to this status.

This branch also uses some different versions, but the tar-ball maven
builds and runs fine when using these versions. See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00536.html for
details on how I came to this conclusion.

> I hope this is of use to you. If you have more questions, ask away.

If you have an idea what could cause the error I posted, please give fixing it
a try. You can find the Guix description at the branch "WIP-maven" at
https://gitlab.com/htgoebel/guix.git.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel