guix-devel

Re: Building a secure communications server

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Building a secure communications server
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 17:04:38 +0530

> What I want achieve is that we can fire up an image on a VPS with safe
> communications.

VPSs may be a start. But, I'm not comfortable with them long term. We
should push for users to self-host their own infrastructure. It should
be something like the FreedomBox project.

https://freedomboxfoundation.org/

The FreedomBox project is based on Debian. Perhaps, we can build
something similar, but based on Guix.

Currently, I self-host my blog, email, XMPP, GNU Social, and a few other
services on my home ADSL connection with an Intel NUC running Parabola
GNU/Linux. At some point in the future, I will migrate it to Guix.

> What would be a good webmail service to run over https? Should be
> simple and secure (these go together, as you know). And should it run
> over imap? I think we'll need to provide imap anyway.

Roundcube is what I use. I don't know if there are better options.

https://roundcube.net/