guix-devel

Re: new manifest format readers?

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: new manifest format readers?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 07:36:50 +0530

> or go further even and add some sugar to remove use-package-modules and
> do something like
>
>    (package-strings
>     ;; this is for compilers
>     "address@hidden"
>     ;; this is for work
>     "icedtea:jdk")
>
> and have package-strings be usable in operating-system too?

I think this is a good idea.

At least as a new user, until I "got it", I found it rather
counter-intuitive that I had to duplicate the same package in two places
(once in the modules, and once in the packages section).

Once I realized I was importing variables from modules, I had to figure
out which module a package was in. This is not the user experience in
other distros. It may not be such a bad idea to spare users the trouble
of figuring this out.