guix-devel

Re: The current state of Aarch64 on Guix

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: The current state of Aarch64 on Guix
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 10:27:50 -0400

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 09:37:58PM +0300, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> Currently Aarch64 support in guix is pretty good, as long as you don't
> mind compiling for yourself :). Potential downfalls are too little RAM
> (I limited my boards to 2GB minimum) and using an SD card. For building
> packages I made sure that between RAM and swap I have at least 6 GB,
> which I don't recall giving me any issues.
>
> There were problems with actually building the guix binary in time for
> the 0.13 release, it has since been fixed and I have an unoffical
> aarch64 binary install tarball at flashner.co.il/~efraim/. Also there is
> the signing key for my odroid running guix-publish. The url for the
> guix-publish server is git.flashner.co.il:8181.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to getting some aarch64 hardware for Guix.

> General problem points/packages:

[...]

> * qt-4: does not build, I've hardly put any time into it.
> * gnucash: The ancient webkit version they use didn't build on aarch64,

Qt 4 and that old version of webkit are unmaintained, full of bugs, and
we will probably have to remove them soon, regardless of whether or not
something depends on them. So I don't think you should worry about
trying to build them for aarch64.