guix-devel

Re: stability of master - just QA and hydra is not enough

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: stability of master - just QA and hydra is not enough
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 20:09:17 -0400

On 07/01/2017 at 14:01 Leo Famulari writes:

> On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 05:36:04PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
[...]
>> 0: What is it these days? Is hydra now just a in-retirement frontend
>> for cuirass or how does bayfront work these days? I understand cuirass,
>> not hydra.
>
> ... Bayfront is still not fully operational, so hydra.gnu.org is still
> serving as the front-end of the build farm. We are still relying on the
> Hydra software. That is, the situation is basically the same as before.
> Adding build machines will not help very much until the front-end
> hardware gets faster.

This leaves me wondering ...

Is the hydra/front-end hardware going to be upgraded?

Is bayfront/cuirass intended to replace hydra?

The bayfront hardware described here ...

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/news/growing-our-build-farm.html

... seems weak to me. Is there a plan to scale it up and make it redundant?

A reliable, resourced, managed, "nightly Guix build" should pay big
dividends for the project. But, from reading the lists, I get the
impression that such a thing does not exist. Is that correct?

Do we know what would be needed to achieve a complete nightly build?

TIA - George