guix-devel

Re: ISO-9660 image working and ready

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ISO-9660 image working and ready
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 23:20:26 +0200

Hey hey!

(This is a followup to <https://bugs.gnu.org/27661>.)

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:

> If we want we can (in the future) provide only the iso9660 image on the
> homepage (for x86_64).
>
> It will work from CD and USB flash drive - that should cover all the options.

Are you saying that the same image could be either dd’d to a USB key or
burnt on an actual CD?

Are there any downsides to using ISO9660 as the file system for the
media, like limitations on file names or file name lengths, restrictions
on the type of files, etc.?  (That doesn’t seem to be the case, but I
vaguely remember ISO9660 as having annoying limitations.)

> (Usually, ARM systems have a more involved boot process and will not work,
> neither from SD card nor from CD-ROM - and booting from USB flash drive is
> out of the question).
>
> Of course it would be nice if people could test the iso9660 image a bit
> (especially on UEFI systems of which I have none).
>
> To generate one, for example do this:
>
> guix system disk-image -t iso9660 foo.scm # will print the name of the
> directory that contains "guixsd.iso" in the end.

I’ve just built:

  ./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image -t iso9660 gnu/system/install.scm

on v0.13.0-1321-gc96ed0091 (current master), booted it with QEMU,
worked fine with ‘lsblk’ showing only /dev/{fd0,sr0}.   Woohoo!  \o/

The image has this 2KiB /boot.catalog file; is that expected?

Otherwise the file names look alright as if Joliet extensions were used,
but maybe they are?  “guix gc --verify=contents” in the image is happy
(and surprisingly fast).

Anyway awesome work, and a great milestone.  Many users who had been
complaining about the lack of ISOs will thank you!  :-)

Ludo’.