guix-devel

Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 19:43:49 -0700

Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:

> Chris Marusich writes:
>
>> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No, not necessarily.  I could no longer do 'guix pull && guix system
>>> reconfigure ...', which I attempted to solve by upstreaming this patch.
>>
>> Why wouldn't you be able to do a 'guix pull && guix system reconfigure'?
>
> Because that would build a system generation which doesn't contain the
> patched Xorg config.  Ricardo's snippet solved that.
>

>>> I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem on this hardware..
>>
>> Yes, I have this problem.  I use a Lenovo X200.  Like Mark, graphical
>> Emacs doesn't display characters right, and it's difficult to tell what
>> the buffer actually contains, sometimes.  I've reconfigured my system to
>> use the extra Xorg config you've provided in this thread, and I'll let
>> you know in a week or two if it seems to have fixed the problem.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kind regards,
> Roel Janssen

Just wanted to close the loop here: I have not had any tearing problems
since applying the patch.  Sounds like the problem has been resolved
through a slightly different means, though (with commit
b049ae2f9708794f83c41171c19ffdfe4f11807e).  Accordingly, I've removed
the extra xorg configuration from my operating system configuration file
and simply reconfigured using the latest origin/master.

Thank you for starting this discussion!  It's really nice to be able to
use graphical emacs now without needing to frequently invoke M-x
redraw-display.

--
Chris