guix-devel

Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:10:19 +0200

By hosting source packages on IPFS they become content addressable and
should scale for downloads. It would also become a safe way of
distributing data.

https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs

Essentially the interplanetary file system allows for distributed
storage servers and a distributed DNS style resolution for finding
files. It allows people to share storage and by pooling storage we
can provide resilient access to all source packages. Especially the
ones that prove dodgy now.

This should be fairly trivial to implement as long as some of us can
commit some storage. We could use the build farm.

Next we can do the same for binary Guix packages. It would make for
way faster downloads when the Guix-deamon supports the protocol.

Can we look into this? Who of us can host IPFS and expose port 4001? I
can put in some.

Pj.