guix-devel

Re: Fetching patches as origins instead of copying them into the Guix Gi

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Fetching patches as origins instead of copying them into the Guix Git repo
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 10:03:30 +0000

ng0 transcribed 2.4K bytes:
> Marius Bakke transcribed 1.4K bytes:

> > > We should make a git-minimal package for things like this, or use
> > > guile-git / libgit2. Git itself is a very "heavy" package.
> >
> > No, I mean adding patches like this:
> >
> > (define %CVE-1970-0001.patch
> >   (origin
> >     (method url-fetch)
> >     (uri "https://example.com/CVE-2017-0001.patch";)
> >     (sha256
> >      (base32
> >       "12c60iwxyc3rj6ih06a1g80vmkf8khvhm44xr9va4h21b74v8f5k"))))
> >
> > (package
> >  (...
> >   (patches (list (search-patch "guix-specific-stuff.patch")
> >                  %CVE-1970-0001.patch)))
> >
> > That only requires the built-in guix downloader.
>
> I think we should reduce connections we have to make
> and assume that patches could disappear.
> I keep patches and sources around in offline and
> online ways because of this. If a source should
> disappear I could fall back to my storage.
>
> For cases like our icecat the patches are already
> fetched because they come directly from the upstream
> repository as far as I remember. That's okay.

Actually in cases of cgit, github, gitlab, and maybe
some other git focused web instances we can do what
icecat does or just use URLs like:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/libxml2/snapshot/libxml2-92b9e8c8b3787068565a1820ba575d042f9eec66.tar.xz
I think it's okay to fetch CVE patches like this
because they come directly from upstream commits
and we know the hash of the file.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588