guix-devel

Re: let's talk about SLIM

From: Adam Van Ymeren
Subject: Re: let's talk about SLIM
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 00:07:47 -0400

"Bernd S." <address@hidden> writes:

> I also agree that the replacement should be something really lightweight and
> independent,
> I really like the suggestion of OpenBSDs xenodm for example.

I did a quick test trying to build xenodm on GuixSD.  I believe the code
has some OpenBSDisms in it, as it doesn't compile out of the box.

I may try to do a real port later, but if anyone else wants to poke
around, this _incomplete_ package definition should get you started.  It
includes all the dependencies I could pick out after skimming
configure.ac

(use-modules (guix)
             ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
             (gnu packages pkg-config)
             (guix cvs-download)
             (guix build-system gnu)
             (gnu packages xorg))

(package
  (name "xenodm")
  (version "0.1")
  (build-system gnu-build-system)
  (source
   (origin
     ;; This is incomplete, but it would be great if we could fetch the source
straight from cvs.
     (method cvs-fetch)
     (uri "address@hidden:/cvs")
     (sha256
      (base32
       ;; Obviously this isn't the right hash, but it stops things from
complaining
       "0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000"))))
  (inputs
   `(("libxmu" ,libxmu)
     ("libx11" ,libx11)
     ("libxau" ,libxau)
     ("libxinerama" ,libxinerama)
     ("libxft" ,libxft)
     ("libxrender" ,libxrender)
     ("libxpm" ,libxpm)
     ("libxext" ,libxext)
     ("libxt" ,libxt)
     ("libxaw" ,libxaw)
     ("libxdmcp" ,libxdmcp)))
  (native-inputs `(("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)))
  (home-page "http://xenocara.org/";)
  (synopsis "Fork of the old xdm program, done by the OpenBSD people.")
  (description
   "xenodm is a lightweight simple display manager for X11")
  ;; I think this needs to be updated.  I believe OpenBSD additions are BSD
licensed, not x11
  (license license:x11))

Throw this in a file named guix.scm and run

$ guix environment --pure -l guix.scm

and you can try to build it.