guix-devel

Re: Thunderbird

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:59:50 +0000

Catonano transcribed 6.1K bytes:

> > Arun Isaac transcribed 0.4K bytes:

> > > Astroid requires external programs like mpop or offlineimap to fetch
> > > mail. So it cannot quite replace Thunderbird for the casual mail
> > > user. Perhaps, claws-mail or blasa are better alternatives. Both
> > > claws-mail and balsa are already packaged for Guix.
> >
> > My only usecase for Thunderbird is Enigmail and its coming GNUnet
> > integration
> > done in corporation of pEp (and GNUnet) and the Enigmail team.
> >

> ok
>

> > Personal opinion: Thunderbird is really terrible and I have my reasons
> > why I stopped using it so long ago I stopped counting or caring for its
> > existence (must've been around '99 or '00 maybe...).
> >

> right
>

> > Nevertheless it is a mandatory tool for some people who can't switch
> > easily and I doubt anyone will embrace the task of getting Thunderbird
> > into Guix with joy.
> >

> right
>
> So far I'm hitting the first drömpels (road bumpers) in the build process
> > with a reference within Thunderbird.
> >
> > Wrt the earlier emails: yes, my intention (also for Icecat/Firefox) is to
> > provide Addons via Guix to get rid of yet another point of authority
> > (Mozilla Appstore). It is my understanding that at least a while back
> > someone was already looking into this and at least the idea was accepted
> > and welcomed.
> >

> it s an exciting view of the future, yes.
>

> > Alternatives exist, yep. But for me it's no only this or only that
> > application question. It's about dynamic choice.
> >

> Of course you have your motivation
>
> My fear is that you are somewhat underestimating the effort that such an
> endeavour entails.

3 years into this project (not TB ;)) and some years longer into another one
I've got
my reality check once or twice, so I know how long volunteering work on
certain construction sites can take (and about the times when it just wears
you out). I also know that if I won't finish it, there's enough people
(at least 1 person I know of) interested that we will get it finished eventually
at some point. For me it's not about the effort it takes but the time one
has to spend debugging issues. And of course, as a volunteering task
how much fun / motivation you see in it. Don't do anything you don't want to
do. For now I want to do Thunderbird because I like challenges.
Sometimes it looks like you make no progress at all for weeks or months,
and suddenly it works. That's all it is in packages, solving puzzles.

Of course I have to plan work now since university started. I'll move the
thunerbird package around on the weekend, so that it's more visible for
those who want to work on it - it's still in an old repository intended
for a structure I no longer see worth following.

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588