guix-devel

A note of reinstall GuixSD

From: tumashu
Subject: A note of reinstall GuixSD
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 10:24:29 +0800 (CST)

#+TITLE: A note about GuixSD Reinstallation

* The problem
My orig GuixSD's root is about 12G, which is enough for other
Linux Destribution, but ,is very very small to GuixSD, So I
cide enlarge root with the help of gparted livecd

Note: should we suggest user add big space to /, for example "100G" ?

* Modify dict part
From:
1. /dev/sda1 (12G)  -> /
2. /dev/sda5 (40G)  -> /mnt/backup1
3. /dev/sda6 (4G)   -> swap
4. /dev/sda7 (120G) -> /home
5. /dev/sda8 (rest) -> /mnt/backup2

To:
1. /dev/sda1 (12G) -> /mnt/backup2
2. /dev/sda7 (90G) -> /
3. /dev/sda8 (4G)  -> swap
4. /dev/sda5 (100G) -> /home
5. /dev/sda6 (rest) -> /mnt/backup1

The problem is that I use "/dev/sda*" instead of Label in my guixsd config, so
when I do the change above, my guixsd can not boot,

I want to use gparted livecd to recover, but I do not know how to deal with the
problem.

Note: should we suggest user use Label insteal /dev/sda*?

* Reinstallation
I use guixsd 0.13 to reinstall, and use my desktop guixsd config. install failed
for gtk-im can not install properly.

So I reinstall a tiny guixsd, success.

but when I restart to my new installed guixsd, I found that
I can not set my wifi network ( wired network have no driver),
for I have not install wpa-suppXXXXXX. :-(

so I reinstall guixsd again to add wpa packages.

Note: should we install wpa-supXXXXX by default?

Reboot to the new guixsd and I run "guix pull"

the connect is slowly and unstable in my country. so I need to wait wait wait ......

after guix pull finished, I reconfigure my desktop config. and faced error:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> In gnu/system.scm:
>    307:17  3 (read-boot-parameters-file "/var/guix/profiles/system-1?")
> In ice-9/ports.scm:
>    444:17  2 (call-with-input-file _ _ #:binary _ #:encoding _ # _)
> In gnu/system.scm:
>    282:10  1 (read-boot-parameters _)
>     238:4  0 (device-sexp->device _)
>
> gnu/system.scm:238:4: In procedure device-sexp->device:
> gnu/system.scm:238:4: Throw to key `match-error' with args `("match" "no matching pattern" #f)'.
#+END_EXAMPLE

Fuck!!!!, so I have to save the error to a usb dict and email in other computer
to guix-devel to help.

Ludo give me a help : https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28445#23

but this need patch guix ......

so I download guix.git, manual type the *small* patch to gnu/system.scm file.

and run "guix environment guix", wait wait wait ..........

when finished, I found this command can not run by root.

switch to normal account: "feng" and guix pull and wait wait wait ..........

this time, "guix environment guix"  success. and I run ./configure ... make.
shepherd service compile error .... why?

I run "make distclean" and remove "~/.cache/guile", make success :-)

"guix system reconfigure" my guixsd configure success!

but, I can not switch to a virtual terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, F2 ...