[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Guix on macOS
Re: Guix on macOS
Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:47:49 +0200
mu4e 0.9.18; emacs 25.3.1
Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
> Currently, I hope that we can get Guix working on macOS via a plan like
> the following:
> 1) On an x86_64-linux GuixSD system, use Guix to cross-build Guix for
> the x86_64-darwin target . We would use GNU libc.
> 2) Install the output of (1) on a macOS system, following a procedure
> similar to the one in the manual for binary installation ((guix)
> Binary Installation).
> Is this plan feasible?
I don’t think it is. You wrote:
>  The string "x86_64-darwin" is used by Nix (it also shows up in some
> Guix files), and it seems to be synonymous with "x86_64-apple-darwin".
> If you run a command like "gcc -dumpmachine" on a recent version of
> macOS, you'll see something like "x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0".
AFAIK on macOS “gcc” and “g++” are just aliases for clang. In order to
build a version of GCC that can build binaries for macOS you need XCode
or parts of it (the libraries it provides).
There is no usable port of the GNU C library for Darwin, so you must
link with the non-free C library provided by XCode. This means that
step 1 won’t work.
The C library abstracts away the peculiarities of the kernel. Without a
maintained port of the GNU C library for Darwin I see no way to build
software targeting macOS without XCode.
GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6 2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
- Guix on macOS, Chris Marusich, 2017/10/11
- Re: Guix on macOS, Konrad Hinsen, 2017/10/12
- Re: Guix on macOS, Ludovic Courtès, 2017/10/12
- Re: Guix on macOS, Christopher Allan Webber, 2017/10/12
- Re: Guix on macOS, Ricardo Wurmus, 2017/10/12
- Re: Guix on macOS, Chris Marusich, 2017/10/13
- Re: Guix on macOS, Konrad Hinsen, 2017/10/13
- Re: Guix on macOS, Adonay Felipe Nogueira, 2017/10/25
- Re: Guix on macOS, Chris Marusich, 2017/10/27
- Re: Guix on macOS, Hartmut Goebel, 2017/10/27
- Building Docker images of GuixSD, Ludovic Courtès, 2017/10/28
- Re: Building Docker images of GuixSD, Chris Marusich, 2017/10/30