guix-devel

Re: why is linux-libre-headers behind linux-libre?

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: why is linux-libre-headers behind linux-libre?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 15:18:17 +0000

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> The Linux kernel API is remarkably stable.

Actually, I don't think that's the case, speaking as someone who's had
to deal with out-of-tree drivers for various reasons.  For instance, the
OrangeFS module typically broke when I tried to rebuild the package on a
new version of Fedora.  Even RHEL can break such things with minor
releases.

> It is indeed the reason we
> *can* run GNU Guix on older kernels in the first place - the kernel is
> our single dependency. The headers do change, but mostly due to kernel
> internals which are not used from glibc etc.

It's a hardware driver library, not anything at the libc level.