guix-devel

Re: Rust bootstraps via i686?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Rust bootstraps via i686?
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 12:36:02 +0200

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 02:56:39PM -0500, Adam Van Ymeren wrote:
> Does anyone know why rust bootstraps itself from the i686 version of the
> binaries even if you're running on x86_64?
>
> This results in having to download a build a lot of packages to build
> rust on x86_64.
>
> If I can make it bootstrap though the current system in use would that
> be a useful patch or is there some problem with bootstraping from x86_64
> that I'm unaware of?
>
> Thanks!
> -Adam

I believe the reason is to decrease the number of language-specific
bootstrap binaries. Since the i686 bootstrap rust is capable of building
for i686 and for x86_64, it means one less binary.

On the other hand, this does nothing for the other architectures which
can't execute i686 code natively.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר