guix-devel

Re: Rust bootstraps via i686?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Rust bootstraps via i686?
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:11:57 +0000

Efraim Flashner transcribed 2.1K bytes:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 02:56:39PM -0500, Adam Van Ymeren wrote:
> > Does anyone know why rust bootstraps itself from the i686 version of the
> > binaries even if you're running on x86_64?
> >
> > This results in having to download a build a lot of packages to build
> > rust on x86_64.
> >
> > If I can make it bootstrap though the current system in use would that
> > be a useful patch or is there some problem with bootstraping from x86_64
> > that I'm unaware of?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Adam
> >

> I believe the reason is to decrease the number of language-specific
> bootstrap binaries. Since the i686 bootstrap rust is capable of building
> for i686 and for x86_64, it means one less binary.
>
> On the other hand, this does nothing for the other architectures which
> can't execute i686 code natively.

I think when we've added rustc, rust did not support as many architectures
as it does now.
There's now an aarch64 and powerpc download in addition to i686+x86_64,
and mipsel, in many flavors.

As long as mrustc to bootstrap rustc is not working without rustc, we
will get problems for example for aarch64 with the i686 bootstrap binary,
right?

--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys