guix-devel

Re: native-inputs ending up as run-time references [was: ISO image avail

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: native-inputs ending up as run-time references [was: ISO image available for testing!]
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 03:16:45 +0100

Mark!
Ludovic!

Mark H Weaver wrote on 06/12/17 at 01:52:
>> Long story short: we were flagging native inputs as potential
>> sources of grafts even though, by definition, native inputs are
>> not referred to at run time.
>
> I agree that this *should* never happen, but I see little reason for
> confidence that it never happens in actual fact.

Hold on. I thought this happened *all the actual time*.

To me, the output of ‘guix graph’ implies that ghc[*] refers directly to
perl, and ghc-haddock-library to hspec-discover, and that both of those
are native inputs.

These are just the first two examples of packages with native inputs
that I happened to pull out of my haskell.scm. While Haskell does seem
particularly naughty, I've no reason to believe it's unique.

Are these not ‘run-time references’? Is your use of the term narrower
than mine?

> One solution would be to explicitly check build outputs for
> references to native-inputs, and to force a build failure in that
> case.

I was surprised to learn this was not already the case (before I started
slowly dragging hissing Haskell packages into the present). I suggest we
don't make any security assumptions about it until it is.

Kind regards,

T G-R