guix-devel

How to customize the kernel

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: How to customize the kernel
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:37:17 -0800

Hi,

Suppose you want to compile a custom kernel.  Suppose you want to use a
custom kernel configuration.  Currently, none of the logic that builds
linux-libre kernels in Guix is public,, so the implication is that
nobody should be using that to customize their kernel builds.

Is anyone building custom kernels?  How are you doing it?  Are you just
using the "make-linux-libre" procedure anyway, despite the fact that it
supposedly isn't public?  Did you copy it and just modify it to suit
your needs?  Or did you do something totally different?

I am new to compiling the Linux kernel, so it is doubly difficult to
learn how I should do it using Guix.  Any tips would be greatly
appreciated.  I'm guessing one tip might be, "Try building a few Linux
kernels on a more normal distribution, not using Guix, a few times to
get the hang of doing it the 'traditional' way first."  I have not
really done that yet.

--
Chris