guix-devel

Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2018 anyone?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Ideas for Summer of Code 2018 anyone?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 19:32:29 +0000

Gábor Boskovits transcribed 6.9K bytes:
> I've checked last the list from last year.
>
> It seems to me that the RISCV port might be more important than ever in the
> face of Spectre.

It doesn't really fix that and suffer from it aswell, but a port to it
would be great for the other obvious reasons.

> The shepherd systemd semantics would be also nice to have.
> I consider the syntax less important.
> It would be also nice to create a service or set of services to make
> administration experience
> similar to a systemd sytem. For example the functionality of journalctl
> would be nice to have.

That is one goal that can be defined 'log view' and discussed.
The rest above is not very clear, lots of guessing.

> Even a howto on configuring guixds to have the equivalent services of
> systemd would
> benefit adoptation, and it could point to functionality missing in our
> system compared to
> systemd.

I don't think we need everything systemd has, or do we?
What are you personally or work related missing, besides the obvious amount of
services?

I myself was missing an easy, less scheme focused way to create operating
systems, so I'm working on that. To get to why I mention this: I thought it
was too obvious, but most of the time the things that are too obvious
are not being worked on because they are too obvious.

I would very much like to have an build log reader+browser as mentioned here
in the past. Today I've pointed someone to /var/log/guix/drvs/ and just gave
the note to use `find -name '*thingtosearchfor*'` and copy it to $home,
extract and view it.

--
ng0 :: https://ea.n0.is
A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 :: https://ea.n0.is/keys/