guix-devel

Re: Drive identifiers

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Drive identifiers
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:01:59 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:32:11 +0100
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Do GRUB, U-Boot, and co. provide a way to refer to drivers by serial
> number?

Not that I know of.  udev (and ID_SERIAL) is a relatively (10 years) recent
invention.  I don't think there was a generic way to easily (without having a
dozen different tools depending on the hardware type) get serial numbers before
it.

I also don't think a bootloader would have all the necessary drivers to find
that out either.

It would be nice, sure.  But once the bootloader is loaded (by the BIOS or ROM
loader), it really doesn't need the whole-drive any more, just the partitions.
And those have UUIDs right inside the partition on disk.

But if bootloaders do after all support drive serial numbers I'd like to hear
it :)