guix-devel

Re: gcc-ddc

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: gcc-ddc
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:25:10 +0100

> Did you choose 4.7 due to the fact that it’s the last C-only version?

At the reproducible builds summit we talked about “checkpoints” that we
want to achieve, i.e. points in the build graph that one can arrive at
one way or another (in this case via clang or via GCC) but with the same
hash, so that one could confidently cut the graph at that point and
graft it onto a different root.

GCC 4.7 is one of those points; it is a desirable location in the
bootstrap graph as it doesn’t depend on a C++ compiler.

> As for the DDC packages, I don’t know.  It would probably require some
> cleanup and discussion, but I think it would make sense to add it in
> Guix proper.  That would allow Guix users to test their compiler through
> DDC, which is not negligible.

I agree.

Thanks for this great effort Gábor!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net