guix-devel

Re: Dualbooting with guixsd not handling grub installation

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Dualbooting with guixsd not handling grub installation
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 09:14:54 +0300

Hello Ludovic,

> Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

>> Are linux linux-arguments initrd in menu-entry required?
>
> Currently yes: this is how you tell GRUB what to boot.

I see an issue with it, because not always you want them.

>> Maybe we could have configfile field?
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/configfile.html
>
> Yes, we could do that.  One question is how to integrated properly since
> ‘menu-entry’ is now bootloader-independent.  Perhaps Mathieu or Danny
> have ideas?

We could start by adding a way to add anything.  Here is a patch.
Probably ugly, but as a draft and idea about additional-options.

Which allows to use additional-options in menu-entry:
(operating-system
…
 (bootloader
  (bootloader-configuration
   (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
   (target "/boot/efi")
   (menu-entries
    (list (menu-entry
           (label "Another distro")
           (linux "")
           (initrd "")
           (additional-options '("search --label --set another-disk-label"
                                 "configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg")))))))
…)

Will produce the following Grub menuentry:
menuentry "Another distro" {

  search --label --set another-disk-label
configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
}

I successfully reconfigured and dualbooted with attached patch.

Oleg.