guix-devel

Re: Maintaining implementations of similar utility functions like json-f

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: Maintaining implementations of similar utility functions like json-fetch
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 12:54:15 +0100

Hi Ludo',

Hello!

Jelle Licht <address@hidden> skribis:

> I noticed that there are currently two very similar functions for fetching
> json data; `json-fetch' in (guix import json) and `json-fetch*' in (guix
> import github).
>
> Some things I noticed:
> - Dealing with http error codes seems to be a bit more robust in
> `json-fetch*'.
> - Making sure that (compliant) servers give responses in the proper format
> seems more robust in `json-fetch' due to using Accept headers.
> - Dealing with the fact that json responses are technically allowed to be
> lists of objects, which `json-fetch' does not handle gracefully.
>
> For this issue specifically, would it make sense to combine the two
> definitions into a more general one?

Definitely, we should just keep one.  It’s not even clear how we ended
up with the second one.

I even had a third one in my local tree which happened to have a conflict, which
is how I found out in the first place, so I understand how these things can happen.

> My more general concern would be on how we can prevent bug fixes only being
> applied to one of several nearly identical functions. IOW, should we try to
> prevent situations like this from arising, or is it okay if we somehow make
> sure that fixes should be applied to both locations?

We should prevent such situations from arising, and I think we do.

The difficulty is that avoiding duplication requires knowing the whole
code base well enough.  Sometimes you just don’t know that a utility
function is available so you end up writing your own, and maybe the
reviewers don’t notice either and it goes through; or sometimes you need
a slightly different version so you duplicate the function instead of
generalizing it.

Anyway, when we find occurrences of this pattern, we should fix them!

I basically added the robust features of `json-fetch*' to the exported `json-fetch'
instead, and all existing functionality seems to work out as far as I can see.

I did notice that I now produce hash-tables by default, and some of the
existing usages of `json-fetch*' expect an alist instead. What would be a guile-
appropriate way of dealing with this? I currently have multiple
`(hash-table->alist (json-fetch <...>))' littered in my patch which seems suboptimal,
but always converting the parsed json into an alist seems like it might also not be
what we want.

of course I' d wait for a thought by some more competent guiler,  but I' d like to offer my take on this

The new function could take one further argument, a boolean

If the boolean is true, it could return a hash table

Otherwise, it could return a list

If the majority of call sites expect a list, the further argument could set to false as default

So you' d only have to fix those call sites that want a hash table instead

If, instead, the majority of call sites want a hash table, your procedure would return a hash table by default and a list by a further argument, so you' d have to fix a minority of call sites anyway

I hope I didn' t make myself a fool :-/

Thanks,
Ludo’.

- Jelle