guix-devel

Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 07:52:24 +0100

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

> 5. explore orchestration in guix - I think Chris could be interested in
> this, and I am also willing to help.
> 6. explore provisioning in guix - provisioning from cloud provides
> essentially boils down to talking to apis, but I would be really interested
> in provisioning bare metal. This is thightly related to orchestration.

I am interested in these things, but I am not sure it would be a good
intern project.  Maybe I'm just being sheepish, but since we don't even
have consensus yet on a design for this, I worry that it might not be
fair to ask an intern to take this on at this time.

> 9. get guix publish to work on some solution, that allows us to share
> pre-built packages outside our local network - I have a feeling that this
> could speed up development on core-updates and feature branches.

I know you meant GNUnet, but what about publication over mDNS?  That
would be super nice, but I don't know how complicated it would be.

There was some idea that this could also be done using ipfs. Actually this
was just an idea, that would be nice to have, and I think I am open to
suggestions how this should work. It turned out on the guix event, that
we already have a working solution, we might have more knowhow lingering...
I do not feel that I could mentor this though.

--
Chris