guix-devel

proposal: modularize unpack in gnu build system

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: proposal: modularize unpack in gnu build system
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 22:30:12 +0100

It seems, that currently we don't have zip in gnu build system, so that ends up in native-inputs, if we need that to unpack the tarball.

It would be nice if gnu-build-system would use the appropriate compressor, and at the same time only depend on the one needed. How could this be achieved?

We already do something like this when specifying the source of a package.

I guess that something like we are using now structured as download, git-download, snv-download.
It could go like tar-unpack, zip-unpack and more. What seem to be more intresting in this case, that we should guess the one we should use, and lazily evaluate, so that we don"t end up depending on all possibilities.