guix-devel

Re: Outreachy'18

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Outreachy'18
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 21:54:36 +0100

Reshu, Konrad,

Welcome to Guix! I hope you enjoy your stay :-)

On 2018-03-06 21:06, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
On 06/03/2018 20:34, Reshu Singh wrote:

I am trying to install GUIX for ubuntu using sh script. I have named the script "guix-install.sh". I created the sh file in nano and ran using bash guix-install.sh.

Creating and/or editing a script should not be necessary; guix-install.sh is part of Guix, and you should be able to simply run ‘sudo bash ./etc/guix-install.sh’ from your Guix tree.

Encountering an error "guix-install.sh: line 249: /home/reshu/.guix-profile/etc/profile: No such file or directory".

The instructions for installing Guix on a Ubuntu system are at:

There's nothing wrong with Reshu's preference.

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Binary-Installation

That said, you should consider installing Guix manually using the guide above, instead of using a script:

- The installation script is still quite new and probably won't work in all cases. - Error reporting is primitive, as you've experienced, which makes it hard for us to help.
- Manually installing isn't *that* difficult, and most importantly:
- Understanding the concepts involved will serve as a valuable introduction to hacking on Guix.

There is no reference to any shell script there, so I wonder what you
are trying to accomplish using your script?

To install Guix using the official installation script, I suspect...

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.