guix-devel

Re: Where to queue patches for staging? (was: Is staging open again?)

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Where to queue patches for staging? (was: Is staging open again?)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 15:20:03 +0100

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 06.03.2018 um 18:03 schrieb Marius Bakke:
>> Staging is nearly fully built, so it will have to wait until next round.
>> Generally, branches 'close' once a Hydra evaluation starts.  Check in
>> here for progress: <https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/staging>.
>
> This sound complicated for the occasional (staging-) contributor.
>
> How should I determine when the next round is about to start? I can't
> even spot that "staging is nearly fully built" and hydra's web-front-end
> is slow. Further I do not have the time for monitoring hydra and catch
> the time-window then I can push my commit. For me this does not work out
> - and I assume for others if doesn't, too.

There are typically discussions on guix-devel when we start the branch.
Here is the previous correspondence:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-02/msg00406.html>.

I suppose we can make it clearer when a branch becomes 'bugfix-only'.

> Is there some queue-for-staging branch where I can commit this patch to?
> Or some other means, like setting some bug-status?

Feel free to push a 'staging-next' branch or something along those lines
to Savannah.  Then we can "promote" it once the current branch is merged.