guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 08:14:47 +0100

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:43:12AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Agreed. The first step: STOP calling Guix a "package manager".  Why?
> Users aren't shopping for a package manager. They either already have
> one, or expect one to come with the software they are looking for.  They
> will think, "I don't need one."
>
> So calling Guix a "package manager" sets up a marketing problem like
> selling transmissions to car drivers :-(
>
> How can we avoid this?  Call it something else!  What?
>
> Ricardo called Guix a "software environment manager". This is a better
> term and we can apply it to both Guix and GuixSD ;-)

I am dealing with things like

  https://github.com/openjournals/joss-reviews/issues/583#issuecomment-373621538

As the scope of the packages is much larger (in terms of #
deployments) than GuixSD I think we should take a really hard look at
how we present Guix to newcomers. That is what the front page should
address.

Maybe we should make a strong shift towards running Guix in
containers. Or create a website that treats that topic individually.
See it as a marketing gimmick.

Container use is growing rapidly and allows for leaving bare metal.
There are even routers running containers today! Containers are also
building blocks for pipelines, that is going to be huge. See, for
example the PDF at

  https://grants.nih.gov/grants/rfi/NIH-Strategic-Plan-for-Data-Science.pdf

Guix is a step up from everything else when it comes to containers.
And now we can even run GuixSD in a container ;)

Pj.