guix-devel

Re: split up python-pyqt or python-matplotlib?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: split up python-pyqt or python-matplotlib?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 23:41:19 +0100

Am 19.03.2018 um 17:55 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> I’m no Pythonista, but would it work to create “python-matplotlib-qt”,
> which would contain nothing but the Qt rendering backend?

This sounds like a good idea. Additionally I suggest doing to for *all*
(relevant) backends, eg. gtk+, tk, cairo. A lazy way would be to only
remove the inputs from 'python-matplot' and for 'python-matplot-qt' (et
al.) include no package but only the input. (Much like "meta" packages
in Debian).

List of backends [2]:

# GTK GTKAgg GTKCairo GTK3Agg GTK3Cairo
# MacOSX Qt4Agg Qt5Agg TkAgg WX WXAgg Agg Cairo GDK PS PDF SVG
# Template.

Names are are not case-sensitive [1]

With a typical installation of matplotlib, such as from a binary
installer or a linux distribution package, a good default backend will
already be set, allowing both interactive work and plotting from
scripts, with output to the screen and/or to a file, so at least
initially you will not need to use any of the methods given above. [1]

[1] https://matplotlib.org/faq/usage_faq.html#what-is-a-backend
[2] https://matplotlib.org/users/customizing.html#a-sample-matplotlibrc-file

--
Regards