guix-devel

Re: Internship on Improve the user experience for the "guix package" com

From: Vijayalakshmi Vedantham
Subject: Re: Internship on Improve the user experience for the "guix package" command line tool (Outreachy)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 20:45:02 +0530

Hi,

I'm really sorry about the effort you had to put into this patch. I'll try not to do it again.

I had to append “.zip” because Pypi didn’t have a “.tar.gz” file for the sources, so the uri
field now is:

   (pypi-uri "logwrap" version ".zip")

Did you do this because only .zip is available here (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/logwrap#downloads)?

I also noticed that the sources include files that were generated with
Cython.  Instead of reusing those, we build them from source.  Luckily
all we have to do in this case is to add “python-cython” to the
native-inputs field.

Can I know how you knew this?

Finally, the tests. At first the tests wouldn’t run.  So I looked up the
error message online and found that I need to use “python-pytest-runner”
in addition to “python-pytest”.  This allows the tests to run up to a
point until it wants to do coverage tests.  For those I needed to add
“python-pytest-cov”.

I changed the description, because I think it wasn’t quite correct.

Again, I'm sorry.

     Have you been able to build Guix already and try building the package using “./pre-inst-env guix build”?

No, I tried last night but I faced some issues, I'll try again tonight.

Thanks,
Vijayalakshmi