guix-devel

Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 12:45:23 +0200

On 26.03.2018 11:33, Marius Bakke wrote:
It could be done with a "profile hook" in (guix profiles).  Although for
the common case I suppose this will be done by a display manager?

But then all X11-supporting display managers would have to care about it.

According to answers in
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/196677/what-is-tmp-x11-unix
/tmp/.X11-unix/ is the directory where any X11 server will create the unix domain socket X0.

One answer implies that is not necessarily the only way an X11 server may communicate with clients on the same machine.

`/gnu/store: grep -iRs X11-unix` only showed results caused by my own simple-service, matches in binary files and a comment in a slim-sigusr1.patch: "The problem was that SLiM doesn't pay attention to SIGUSR1. So in practice, if X starts slowly, then SLiM gets ECONNREFUSED a couple of time on /tmp/.X11-unix/X0, then goes on trying to connect to localhost:6000, where nobody answers; eventually, it times out and tries again on /tmp/.X11-unix/X0, and finally it shows up on the screen."

I would think that something must already take care of /tmp/.X11-unix/ for an operating-system configuration using plain X11?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/