guix-devel

Re: Looking for Thunderbird/Icedove

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Looking for Thunderbird/Icedove
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 09:09:23 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> Hello,
>
> Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:02:23 +0000
> > Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> The patches would apply nowhere then, I'm sending a tarball of the
> >> work. You can ignore the AGPL3 header, it's my default and for what I
> >> upstream I relicense.
> >>
> >> This is Thunderbird 52.6.0, I fear that version newer than 54.x will
> >> have the same problem I'm debugging in newer Firefox now with
> >> mandatory rust.
> >>
> >> Headsup: The package is wip'ish and generally very ugly in code.
> >
> > Thanks for sharing this. I appreciate that you published this in
> > WIP-state. I just scrolled through the .scm-definition and be impressed
> > of the length. Will look into the details later.
>
> Maybe one of you can post the current patch to guix-patches and people
> can then work from there?  (There’s already a few WIP patches at
> https://bugs.gnu.org/guix-patches and I think it’s a fine way to let
> people know that you’ve started working on something but that more work
> is needed.)
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

As far as I understood Mark's reply, Mark will work on this and there's no need
for my work.
For different purposes I'll continue with mine (opt-in optionals somewhere
else).
Working the coming (54.x version) rust problems with Mozilla based software
will be for the benefit of Guix too, so I hope I can tell you how to get past
the obstacles created by this.