guix-devel

Re: Have GPGPU support in guix?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Have GPGPU support in guix?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 14:41:30 +0200

Hello,

Joshua Branson <address@hidden> skribis:

> Fis Trivial <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Guixs, this is actually a feature wish.
>>
>> I tried to use guix to manage many of my softwares on my system, but
>> some dependencies are missing which is blocking a full transition to
>> Guix based system and development environment. Most notably is GPU
>> computing support.
>>
>> My daily routine is doing machine learning, which requires GPU for
>> computing nowadays. Currently I need to use CUDA from NVidia, as many of
>> you might know, it's not free software, not even an open source
>> software. However, it's the de fato toolchain in deep learning
>> community, so basically it's a must have dependency for most of the
>> related libraries if you want decent performance. Time passes and
>> hardwork have been done, now we have some libraries ported to OpenCL or
>> HIP (from AMD), it's not mature yet but I think we have a pretty good
>> shot at working them out in near future.
>
> Since this is a GNU endorsed distro, guixSD will never have an official
> way to install or use CUDA.

Indeed.  Specifically, the project is committed to following the FSDG,
so CUDA doesn’t belong in Guix:

  https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

Free software that you might find of interest is POCL, an OpenCL
implementation (not yet packaged in Guix):

  https://github.com/pocl/pocl

Ludo’.