guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 12:13:33 +0200

Hi Pjotr,

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> So I have been using Icecate for 10 days. It is frustrating because it
> does crash every other hour on some JS load. The error always looks like
>
> Extension error: SyntaxError: in strict mode code, functions may be declared only at top level or immediately within another function resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm -> moz-extension://73353d04-3869-453b-8b9b-f71ceaae6e26/polyfill.js 63
> [[Exception stack
> Current stack
> runSafeSyncWithoutClone@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm:25:110
> address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:197:9
> address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:273:5
> address@hidden://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:463:11
> DocumentManager.observe@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm:342:7
> ]]
>
> I only have noscript and adblock plus installed and running. Any ideas?

Did you check on the “about:home” page whether other things were
enabled?  Also, is the JS error above fatal?  JS is designed to keep
going in spite of errors (really!), so it could be that the thing above
doesn’t matter.

FWIW, I’ve been using IceCat (actually mostly Conkeror, but it’s the
same thing) for a long time and I’ve rarely experienced crashes.  I’m
surprised the experience is that bad for you.  Is this on GuixSD?

> I think I'll go to FF again if this persists.

IceCat is essentially the same code as FireFox modulo branding, add-ons,
and a few trivial things.  I don’t see how IceCat itself could be
blamed—the add-ons maybe, the way it is packaged in Guix perhaps, but
IceCat?…

Ludo’.

There was  a bug in earlier Firefox, might that be that IceCat doesn't have
the fix for that yet? I don't know how much IceCat is delayed to Firefox.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24573061/uncaught-syntaxerror-in-strict-mode-code-functions-can-only-be-declared-at-top, see the last comment.