guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 12:56:14 -0500

Tonton <address@hidden> writes:

> I guess channels already sort of exist. have a git repo or similar with
> whatever guix packages in it and point $GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH at it. Then all
> packages defined in your git repo are suddenly part of your available guix
> packages.

I agree this is an option; however, I think there's an important
distinction between the two. Having channels reifies the concept of
different repositories and rallies groups of users around a single
target.

E.g. I've seen several people in this thread mention they had already,
or were trying to, package Firefox (myself included). Had there been an
official non-libre channel, this work might not have been duplicated.

--
Katherine