guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 22:54:04 +0300

Hello Katherine,

Katherine Cox-Buday <address@hidden> writes:

> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

[…]

> As an anecdote with a data-point of one, I uninstalled GuixSD because I
> suddenly needed the machine I was running it on to be my daily driver. I
> had been attempting to package Firefox whenever I had a spare moment,
> but I ran out of time and needed it to work as I didn't have time to
> migrate all the machines I use to a libre-friendly browser (nor am I
> sure I want to).

I understand this, but still you could use almost all Guix stuff except
Shepherd system services [1] on a foreign distribution.  Guix works
smoothly for me on a working computer with GNU/Linux Mint on a board,
and I use GuixSD on my personal computer and laptop.  Also GuixSD has
the latest Chromium, but unfortunately without substitutes yet [2].

[…]

[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/
[2]  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28004

Oleg.