guix-devel

Re: shortening the git test suite

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: shortening the git test suite
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 15:54:56 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> git takes a very long time to build, because it has an extensive test
> suite.  Most of the time is spent in running the SVN interoperability
> tests, though, which are not really all that interesting for most uses
> of git.
>
> The Makefile says this:
>
>   # Define NO_SVN_TESTS if you want to skip time-consuming SVN
> interoperability
>   # tests.  These tests take up a significant amount of the total test time
>   # but are not needed unless you plan to talk to SVN repos.
>
> What do you think about disabling the SVN tests in the git package?

I'm wary of this because it also tests our SVN package, and makes sure
they work together.  But I'm not completely opposed to it either.  How
much time does it save?

When debugging the git build, I usually set #:parallel-tests? #t.  So
far I haven't come across a failure related to that.  I wonder if
<https://bugs.gnu.org/29512> is still relevant.