guix-devel

Re: [doc RFC] Tame the Guix profile blizzard?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [doc RFC] Tame the Guix profile blizzard?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 00:13:31 +0200

Hi George,

George Clemmer <address@hidden> skribis:

> ISTM we can improve this situation as follows:
>
> 1) agree on a canonical term to use for the 4 types of profiles

I think you mentioned only two types of “profiles”: one is profiles
created by ‘guix package’ or ‘guix environment’ or ‘guix system’ (they
are all the same kind of “profile”), and the other one is execution
profile, which has nothing to do with that.

So to me it seems that “profile” is in fact used fairly consistently,
isn’t it?

However…

> 3) add a top level discussion of profiles

… we surely need this.  Someone we should clearly define “profile”
somewhere upfront.  Perhaps we also need a glossary.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.