guix-devel

Re: guix gc: smarter collection & guix.el manual deletion

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: guix gc: smarter collection & guix.el manual deletion
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 02:52:43 -0700

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> I run GuixSD on a rather small partition (<25GB) and quite often the
> partition gets full during a transation and I end up having to clean up
> the store (e.g. "guix gc -F5G").
>
> The problem is that more often than not, "guix gc" will remove store
> items that are almost always needed for the next transaction, which
> results in a huge re-update of those newly missing packages.  What a
> waste of time...
>
> It would be nice if "guix gc" would be a bit smarter and remove items
> that are less likely to be needed for the next transaction.

You might be interested in the following guix-daemon options:

      --gc-keep-derivations[=yes/no]
                             tell whether the GC must keep derivations
                             corresponding to live outputs
      --gc-keep-outputs[=yes/no]   tell whether the GC must keep outputs of
                             live derivations

Perhaps by setting them to "yes", you can avoid collecting store items
that you'd rather keep around.  I think these default to "no".

--
Chris