guix-devel

Re: Web interface pushed

From: Tatiana Sholokhova
Subject: Re: Web interface pushed
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 23:33:52 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

I pushed commits implementing the features we discussed before. Could you please take a look at them? I have reconsidered the idea of having a separate page with build information, as I do not see what additional information we can display on this page except the link to the log file. So, for now I have added a link to the log file in the newly added column of the table with information about builds of an evaluation. What do you think about this?

I thought about writing the summary of and sending it to the mailing list, but now I think that a blog post would be more convenient for a reader. What is the source format for guix blog markdown and is where something special I need to know about preparing the blog post? Also, I would like to create a draft version of the final document and share it with you in order to discuss it before publishing. What do you think is the best way to maintain this draft? I would suggest google doc, but it may be not compatible with the blog post format.

Best regards,
Tatiana

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 at 00:03, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Tatiana,

> The next features I am thinking of are
>
>    - make red, green and grey links on the evaluations page actually
>    working and usable for filtering builds of the evaluation with a given
>    status;
>    - add some navigation tools to improve usability, especially for the
>    case when a user wants to go back to the previous level of the interface
>    (e.g. from evaluation page to specifications list);
>    - add a page with some basic info about a build, containing a link to
>    the corresponding build log;

This all sounds very good and manageable.  I think this also matches
some of the open items that Gábor identified earlier.

> I am going to make a new branch and push these changes in a few days, so
> you could try them.

Excellent!

> I have a question regarding the link for the final GSOC evaluation.
> According to the GSOC requirements
> <https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/work-product#requirement>,
> from the provided URL it should demonstrate the result of the project. I
> suppose that it would be nice to include the example of the working
> interface running on https://berlin.guixsd.org/ to the final document which
> I will prepare for the evaluation (and which also will contain a link to
> the list of changes made to the codebase). Would it be appropriate to do
> so?

Yes, this would be fine, but note that the document should really stand
on its own.  Whatever is shown on https://berlin.guixsd.org/ will change
over time.  You can add a link to it as an example, but make sure that
your “work product” page would not feel incomplete without it.
(E.g. take screenshots if you want to show specific features instead of
linking to pages on https://berlin.guixsd.org/)

If you want to we could also aim to publish this as a blog post on the
Guix website, but that’s really up to you.  The Guix blog is a good way
to make your work known in the community and to people who are following
the project.

--
Ricardo