guix-devel

Re: Long term plan for GuixSD security: microkernels, ocap, RISC-V suppo

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Long term plan for GuixSD security: microkernels, ocap, RISC-V support
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 14:31:42 +0200

Hello Guix!

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Specifically there are two things we can implement:
>
>   1. A ‘guix run’ command along the lines of
>      <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-01/msg00108.html>.
>
>   2. A mechanism that would allow, say, ‘guix package -i PKG --pola’ to
>      automatically add “least-authority wrappers” around the binaries of
>      PKG, pretty much like ‘guix pack --relocatable’ does (see
>      ‘wrapped-package’ in (guix scripts pack)).

Speaking of which, a colleague of mine told me about Whalebrew
<https://github.com/bfirsh/whalebrew>, which takes a somewhat similar
approach:

  Whalebrew creates aliases for Docker images so you can run them as if
  they were native commands. It's like Homebrew, but with Docker images.

  Docker works well for packaging up development environments, but there
  are lots of tools that aren't tied to a particular project: awscli for
  managing your AWS account, ffmpeg for converting video, wget for
  downloading files, and so on. Whalebrew makes those things work with
  Docker, too.

There’s this important difference:

  Packages are Docker images published on Docker Hub.

Ludo’.