guix-devel

Re: FOSDEM 2019

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2019
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 21:38:56 +0200

On 2018-08-30 20:20, Pjotr Prins wrote:
Just to clarify, we will organize a two day Guix conference before
FOSDEM. That is pretty much in the box. We have room at ICAB, the place
we were last year.

  http://icab.be/

About the specifically guix event, maybe it's a good time to organize
an install party. Also, let's be clear upfront if that the fringe event
can include those kind of work: poster, workshop, tutorial... anything
else to add?

In addition to the Guix conference there is the possibility to have a
dev-room at FOSDEM, but we need to apply for it. If the interest is as
underwhelming as it is now I think we better forget about it. These
things take effort to organize.

I think the 'minimalistic languages for big ideas' room has appeal to
a wider audience and some of our projects fit really well. Anyone
any project ideas? Or do we just forget about it? How about:

- Guile Guix build farm and Cuirass
- Sheperd (Guile)

Yes!

I posted previously a message on various Scheme related bulletin
boards, with not many responses except in Racket Group [0] that boils
down to "maybe we should do something".

[0] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/racket-users/MehPv0ugBI4

I created a page at http://community.schemewiki.org/?FOSDEM2019

Like I wrote previously I was thinking out loud when I emailed guile-user
about a scheme dev room, with the hope more people would answer the call
but it did not happen.

What about the following names for the room:

- big fringe ideas
- define
- dev off
- off tracks

This names or others might allow even more developers (whatever that means...) to join the event from a broad horizon. Let's remember the event is Free and
Open source Software Developers' European Meeting.

European make me think that about art, culture and history.

So this makes me think that it's about free. Art can be free. You feel free to dev
an art form like mezangelle / code poetry / executable poetry.

European is not the USA nor Asia maybe there is something interesting to find to make it interesting for people from Europe and abroad to come to FOSDEM.
What about social / ethno / anthroposcene?

Well, I speak a lot about art. That's the way I think of coding. It's a way (albeit new) to express oneself. It's a form of art and also a way to empower
others to create art and communicate. code imo is about communication.

What do other people think about the name that room must be?

I believe the schemewiki.org is more convenient because registration
is not required.

Another thing I'd like to stress, is that last year most talks I read about were driven by big companies and stuff. And all the counter developer culture was spread in various rooms. Let's make a room for alternatives maybe? No so big
communities that have a lot of potential or might just be moon shots.

I have a book called 'Open Space Technology' it's about organizing
meetings and events. I will read skim over it tonight. And (try) provide
feedback about the latest advancement in psychohistory engineering.

I hope to read some of your ideas.

Here is another one: #zehefyu93 undo s:/3nce 4 a peacefu/ prosperity.

Just to come back on the righteous track, maybe one can invite speakers.

Let's get inspiration from racketcon 2018 and 2017 or clojureconj or whatever..

stop brainwashing,
start brainstorming,
and have fun.

One has 6 months to prepare.